Friday, June 13, 2008

I want to ride my BICYCLE...

Wow. The first couple days here have been a complete whirlwind. Pulling into the church was an amazing feeling and for the first time seeing all these smiling faces of the people that will share the most intimate, embarrassing, and meaningful experiences for the next 60 days.

Our group is AMAZING. Besides having more than twice as many women as men (always a plus), we have people from such diverse backgrounds it is just fantastic. West coast, south, east coast, midwest, Iran, and Greece. Consisting of a plethora of knowledge, experiences, and interests.

The first day consisted of a lot of silly introduction games, attempting to learn everyone's name (harder than you think), and just settling in. We all spent a lot of time chatting and everyone had a smile on their face the whole time. It was like it was Christmas and we were all each other's presents. Another awkward analogy...

I didn't sleep hardly at all the first night. It was loud, people were snoring, I could not get comfortable on my thermarest. Either way, we got up at 6:30 am the next morning to go to our build site at the Beaches Habitat. We layed sod most of the day and did other landscaping. The people were just amazingly nice giving us food and slushies the entire day. I can tell already that having people make food for me the whole summer is going to make me feel really guilty. So when I get back I will just make food for people for a long time or something :).

THe beach is only about 2 miles away or so, so we have been going to the beach in the evening and hanging out there.

Today we did a shakedown ride of 10miles, it was super slow and chill but just a SWEET sight to see 30 bikers in a straight line on a road. Seriously, it is so inspiring.

Gotta run, 1 computer for 32 people is NOT enough. I can tell already that posting will be difficult, but I am trying to take a lot of pictures so that I can describe things to you later. I also bought a small journal and am going to write highlights in it after each day so I don't forget.

I love you all,

Brad

3 comments:

P said...

You're gonna cook for everyone once you get back? Good deal.

-pat

Mom said...

Hey Brad - we'll take you up on that home cooking! Please make it Thai???

Love, Mom and Steve

Abby said...

I will also gladly allow you to cook for me when you get back.

I also jealous of your beach. And I never realized how long the panhandle of Florida is until I tracked you biking through it - so long!

Enjoy the rest of FL this week. I hope you enjoy my mail, and that it fills up your stomach some!